President’s Award for Outstanding Teacher
WHAT IS THIS AWARD?
This annual award is given to an outstanding Louisiana elementary, middle or high school teacher who imparts knowledge and understanding of law and civic education and demonstrates the use of interactive learning techniques that make a difference in student learning. Award presentation is a joint partnership of the Louisiana Center for Law and Civic Education and the Louisiana State Bar Association (LSBA).
The award recipient will be recognized at a reception held in January 2020 at the LSBA’s MidYear Meeting in Baton Rouge. The President’s Award recipient will receive public recognition and funds to be used for the purchase of law-related education materials for their classroom.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
• Social study educators teaching grades 4-12 in Louisiana and who are certified teachers
• Educators who teach in an accredited Louisiana school.
• Educators who have taught a law-related course for a minimum of 1 year.
HOW TO APPLY:
1) Submit a cover sheet providing applicant’s name, home address, phone number and email address. Include the name, address and phone number of the applicant’s school and the number of years the applicant has been teaching.
2) Attach to cover sheet a typed one page statement on why law-related education is important to applicant and applicant’s students.
3) Statement should include a brief description of teacher's current law-related educational content in their curriculum and how students are impacted by the teacher's efforts to teach them about the law, the legal system and foundations of democracy.
4) Application should be accompanied by a letter of support from the school principal or Director of Social Studies; or from a parent or a student who is familiar with teacher's work.
5) No application can be longer than 4 pages.
Applications can be made by individual teachers and by persons other than the individual teacher, using the criteria above.
Application Deadline: December 16, 2019.
Submit application to: President's Award Committee, Louisiana Center for Law and Civic Education, 601 St. Charles Avenue, 4th Floor, New Orleans, LA 70130.
Questions? Contact Peggy Cotogno at (800) 421-5722 or (504) 619-0134 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.